Classification and Labelling Proposals for Copper
On behalf of the SIEF Facilitator for “Copper” the European Copper Institute is authorised to communicate this information to all participants in the SIEFs for the EINECS numbers listed below.
|ECI ref||Substance||SIEF Facilitator|
Copper is defined as:
Metal with copper content ≥ 99.90 %, e.g. in the form of cathodes, fire-refined ingots and unwrought shapes (billets, slabs and cakes, etc). Other materials, also referred to in the market as copper, with elemental copper contents > 80% and < 99.90% are covered in “Anode” (Intermediate B1).
The Joint Registration dossier was successfully submitted to ECHA on 20 September 2010 and the latest update was submitted in July 2020. An information note summarising the main changes included in the last update can be found here. This update is not requiring co-registrants to update their copper registration dossier. Please contact the secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain access to the latest version of the Chemical Safety Report.
ECI’s REACH Classification, Labelling and Packaging proposals for copper, as described in the Copper Dossier, is as follows.
- Copper massive (specific surface area equal or below 0.67 mm²/mg, equivalent to particles with diameter equal or above 1 mm; and ≥ 99.90 % purity):
No classification and no labelling for Human Health or the Environment
- Copper powder (specific surface area above 0.67 mm2/mg, which is equivalent to particles with diameter below 1 mm; and ca. 99.7% copper (w/w):
Hazard class and category code(s) Hazard statement Aquatic Acute 1 H400 Very toxic to aquatic life M-factor = 1 Aquatic Chronic 2 H411 Toxic to aquatic life
with long lasting effects
Downstream users can see the list of “Identified uses” contained within the Chemical Safety Report for Copper here. This also shows the process codes described in the REACH regulation and ECHA guidance documents.
Guidance on how Downstream Users can use the REACH Exposure Scenarios to ensure safe use in their own operations can be accessed here.
ECI continues to offer Letters of Access to registrants. The ECHA registration deadlines was June 1st 2013 for tonnages between 100 and 1,000 T and is June 1st 2018 for tonnages between 1 and 100 T.
Earlier communications can be requested at ECI :
- Communication to Consortium members regarding revised submission – January 2017
- Communication to Consortium members and Letter of Access customers regarding revised submission, on January 28th 2013, with updates to IUCLID and effects sections – January 2013
- SIEF Progress and Status for Copper – March 2010
- ECI Communication on Identified Uses – December 2009
- ECI Communication on Copper Value Chain – December 2009
- ECI Communication to SIEF – October 2009.
- Lead Registrant Communication to ECHA – June 2009
- ECI Communication to SIEF – January 2009
In case of questions, please contact REACH@copperalliance.eu.